From CST to Kharghar on 23 Oct., 2009

Local is the life line of Mumbai and if this life line gets even a single cut into its body, how chotic life can be in Mumbai, it was evident from scenes spread over CST to Vashi to Thane. Yesterday, in afternoon, when I saw the news of crashing of a pipeline over a local train in Thane, I didn't give much attention to it. But what I saw on CST in the evening, while trying to catch a Panvel-bound local to come to Kharghar returning from Mumbai Central, I realized how wrong was and perhaps Railway machineary was also not able to properly assess the seriousness of the situation. Normally, one is able to get on the train on harbour line rather comfortably from CST. But, the first Panvel-bound train I saw was jam-packed. I left that thinking of catching another one. What a big deal it is, was the thought. But I was amazed on seeing the crowd onto the platform. It was a "Jan sailab" indeed. As the next train came, people rushed madly towards the train just to board any how. There was no display about the final station of the train. After some some hard work, I was able to get on the train and set in a corner. It was like cattles are packed in some cage not able to move a little bit. After boarding, I came to know that It will go to Vashi only. So, again thought, will change the train from Vashi easily. Again I was wrong, but possibly luck was with me. It was an unusual scene on Kurla. Platform were empty!. Wadala passed, Kurla passed, nobody was getting down from the train. Train was twice full from its capacity. Some fighting in between also. Vashi station was jammed from Thane-bound passengers. Train to Panvel was approx. 20 min. late. When it came, I was unable to board. Luck came into the form of a chain-puller. Train halted and I was on the train. But others were not that lucky. They were to wait there for some more time. So after about 2 hours, I was at home around 8 or 8:15 p.m.. Later hearing the news about the jams on various nakas, roads and train situation, I again thanked my luck that I was at home in time. However, the question here is who is responsible for all this chaos. Every now and then in Mumbai, such type of problems arise and we all suffer. Do we still require some civic sense? Where are our disaster management guys sleeping?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sangrah – Knowledge Repository for FOSS in Education from CDAC, Mumbai

राहुल द्रविड़ की वापसी का मतलब